Thursday, June 20, 2013

38 by 30

My college English professor once said "Everyone should read all of Shakespeare by the age of 30." A person like me takes this sort of comment to be hard deadline, maybe so that I can still sneak it in at the last minute and feel ok. Here's a look at my progress so far.

Comedies (9 for 16)
1. The Tempest - READ
2. The Two Gentlemen of Verona
3. The Merry Wives of Windsor
4. Measure for Measure - READ
5. The Comedy of Errors - READ
6. Much Ado About Noting - READ
7. Love's Labour's Lost - READ
8. A Midsummer Night's Dream - READ
9. The Merchant of Venice - READ
10. As You Like It
11. The Taming of the Shrew - READ
12. Alls Well That Ends Well
13. Twelfth Night - READ
14. The Winter's Tale
15. Pericles, Prince of Tyre
16. The Two Noble Kinsmen

Histories (8 for 10)
1. King John
2. Richard II - READ
3. Henry IV, Part 1 - READ
4. Henry IV, Part 2 - READ
5. Henry V - READ
6. Henry VI, Part 1 - READ
7. Henry VI, Part 2 - READ
8. Henry VI, Part 3 - READ
9. Richard III - READ
10. Henry VIII

Tragedies (7 for 12)
1. Troilus and Cressida
2. Coriolanus
3. Titus Andronicus - READ
4. Romeo and Juliet - READ
5. Timon of Athens
6. Julius Ceasar -READ
7. Macbeth - READ
8. Hamlet - READ
9. King Lear - READ
10. Othello- READ
11. Antony and Cleopatra
12. Cymbeline

This is just what I remember, and it totals out to 24 of the 38, leaving 14 plays left to read. I'll make a quick schedule now.

Schedule
1. The Two Gentlemen of Verona
2. The Merry Wives of Windsor
3. As You Like It
4. Alls Well That Ends Well
5. The Winter's Tale
6. Pericles, Prince of Tyre
7. The Two Noble Kinsmen
8. King John
9. Henry VIII
10. Troilus and Cressida
11. Coriolanus
12. Timon of Athens
13. Antony and Cleopatra
14. Cymbeline

If I went at the pace of a play a week I'd be done by the end of September with time to spare. Realistically I should finish sooner, but probably won't. I guess I'll start in and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment